The Sturgeon Moon: A Time of Deep Insight and Intuition
Understanding the Sturgeon Moon
As summer’s warmth begins to wane, the Sturgeon Moon appears in the sky, usually occurring in the month of August. This moon is named after the large fish that are more easily caught in the Great Lakes and other major bodies of water during this time. Historically important to Native American tribes, the Sturgeon Moon serves as a symbol of abundance and introspection. It shares many of its characteristics with the nearby sabbat, Lammas, or Lughnasadh, which celebrates the first harvest and the bounty of the earth.
The Sabbat Connection: Lammas or Lughnasadh
Lammas, also known as Lughnasadh, is one of the three harvest festivals in the pagan and Wiccan traditions, celebrated usually a few weeks before the Sturgeon Moon. Lammas marks the beginning of the harvest season, a time of gathering and giving thanks for the first fruits of the earth. As Lammas focuses on earthly abundance, the Sturgeon Moon accentuates spiritual and emotional abundance, inviting reflection and deeper understanding.
Rituals and Celebrations
The Sturgeon Moon provides a splendid setting for rituals centered around introspection, deep wisdom, and emotional well-being.
1. Water Divination: Given the moon’s association with water, engage in water-based divination practices. Use a bowl of water with a dark bottom to scry, focusing on questions of emotional or spiritual importance.
2. Gratitude Journal: Use this moon phase to pen down what you’re grateful for, especially noting any emotional or spiritual growth you’ve experienced lately.
3. Dream Work: As sleep and dreams are closely tied to the Moon’s energy, keep a dream journal near your bed. The insights gathered from your dreams during the Sturgeon Moon can be particularly revealing.
4. Emotional Cleansing: Create a ritual bath with herbs and oils that promote emotional clarity, like lavender or chamomile. Spend some time soaking and meditating on releasing emotional burdens.
- Colors: Blue, silver, indigo
- Crystals: Sodalite, moonstone, aquamarine
- Herbs: Lavender, chamomile, valerian root
- Deities: Poseidon, Neptune, Selene
Join the Circle: Sturgeon Moon Gathering
As the Sturgeon Moon casts its luminous glow, join our virtual circle to celebrate the depths of insight and the richness of intuition. This is a time to delve into the profound waters of wisdom and emotional understanding. Share your Sturgeon Moon rituals, meditative insights, and intuitive discoveries using the hashtag #SturgeonMoonGathering on social media, connecting with others under the moon’s reflective light.
Featured Ritual: Lunar Tide of Intuition under the Sturgeon Moon
This ritual embraces the Sturgeon Moon’s energy, creating a sacred space to deepen your connection with your intuition and gain clarity on your emotional landscape.
- A bowl of water (symbolizing the depth and fluidity of emotions)
- Blue or indigo candles (representing insight and intuition)
- A piece of paper and a pen
- Intuition-enhancing crystals like sodalite or moonstone
- Herbs associated with intuition and clarity (e.g., lavender, chamomile)
- Cleanse your space and yourself, creating an environment conducive to introspection and clarity.
- Arrange your materials on your altar or in a quiet space where you feel connected to the moon’s reflective energy.
- Sit under the light of the Sturgeon Moon, holding your bowl of water. Reflect on the depth of your emotions and the insights you wish to gain.
- Write down the questions or areas of life where you seek clarity and intuitive guidance on the piece of paper.
- Light the blue or indigo candles, focusing on the calm and insightful energy they emit. Visualize this energy enhancing your intuitive senses and illuminating your inner wisdom.
- Place your intuition-enhancing crystals and herbs around the candles. As the candles burn, visualize their light penetrating the depths of your emotions, bringing clarity and insight to the surface.
- Gaze into the bowl of water, allowing your mind to quiet. Open yourself to any images, feelings, or thoughts that arise. Let the reflective surface be your guide to deeper understanding.
Close your ritual by expressing gratitude for the insights and intuitive clarity provided by the Sturgeon Moon. Share your experience or a photo of your Lunar Tide of Intuition ritual on social media using the hashtag #SturgeonMoonGathering.
This ritual aligns you with the Sturgeon Moon’s themes of introspection and intuition, helping you to navigate the depths of your emotions and embrace the wisdom that lies within.
The Sturgeon Moon is a lunar phase on the moon calendar rich with the potential for deep emotional and spiritual enrichment. As you witness its radiant glow, may you be inspired to dive deep into your intuitive self, aligning your inner tides with the greater rhythms of the natural world.
Save for Later – Pin to Pinterest!